New Brunswick Scheduling
Digital Classroom Services
Laptop Instructions > Windows XP
Windows XP Laptop Setup
Before you turn on your laptop
- Plug the podium's laptop cable into your laptop. Mac laptops require a VGA adaptor that either comes with your computer or is purchased separately.
- Press "Laptop" on the podium touch screen (if the screen is blank or shows a Rutgers Logo, touch it anywhere to turn on the system and then choose “Laptop”).
- If you would like to connect to the Internet you must bring your own Ethernet cable with you to class (we do not provide these cables). Connect your Ethernet cable to the "Data" jack on the podium and the Ethernet jack on your computer. Please note that there may be two nearly identical jacks on the podium labeled “V” for voice and “D” for data. Do not plug your Ethernet cable into the "Voice" jack!
- Turn on the laptop
- Make sure the projector is showing the same image as your laptop. If it does not, try toggling the image by holding down the "Fn" key on your keyboard and pressing the "F#" key with the VGA/LCD/CRT symbol or monitor symbol on it (the exact key varies from computer to computer) then wait a second. Each time you press this key combination your screens will change to a different setup; keep doing this until you find the one that works.
- Another way to toggle your laptop image is by right clicking on your desktop and choosing “graphic properties.”
- You will then be directed to the Graphic Properties box. Under “Operating Mode” you must choose “Dual Display Clone” and set your primary device as “notebook” and your secondary device as “monitor.”
- You can also change the resolution and refresh rate by choosing Display Settings on the left-hand corner.
- Another way to toggle your laptop image is to right click on your desktop, choose “Graphic Options,” then choose Output To and choose Intel® Dual Display Clone.
- If you need to change additional settings, click Start - Settings - Control Panel - Appearance and Themes.
[Click Start - Setting - Control Panel if it is on Classic View]
- Double click on the "Display" icon.
- Or, you can right click on your desktop and choose “Properties”
- Click on the "Settings" tab.
- Set the resolution and colors to suit your needs (smaller resolutions make the text and images appear larger on the projector and laptop screen). If you have trouble getting an image on the projector, try a resolution of 800x600.
- Open your Control Panel by clicking the "Start" menu and choose "Control Panel"
- Click the "Network and Internet Connections" link.
- Click the "Network Connections" link.
- Double click the "Local Area Connection" icon.
- Click the "Properties" button.
- Click on the "General" Tab.
- Double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
- Write down the information that you see - you may need it later when you return to your office.
- Click "obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically."
- Click OK and exit the network control panel.